Question to you all: Framer vs Fuse

Greetings fellow pixel enthusiasts :v: ,

I’m amongst the first framerjs users and avid community member, though I just recently stumbled upon fuse and it seems to go a step ahead compared to framer.

Basically, I’ve always been a proponent of framer, because it does impose limits on its user compared to the #1 bad-practice tool for web/mobile interaction animation design that is After Effects. Though, those limits are web and not mobile, thus it still often can happen that interaction animations overstep the capabilities of mobile OSs.

Fuse, seems to go a step further and simplifies vanilla mobile code to a language that is easier as coffee and resembles native pretty much.

From first glance, I really like it, though I’ve some questions.

• Is it possible to link dynamic data? (i.e. firebase DB requests)
  • Is it possible to create form fields which can forward data inputs?
  • Can you add js libs?

How does fuse compare to framer in general?

Thanks alot for every reply…like seriously, appreciate your input, every second it took. :bowtie:

Andi

Hi, welcome :slight_smile:

Is it possible to link dynamic data? (i.e. firebase DB requests)

Absolutely. You can use REST call against any service. We are working on an open source Firebase integration module.

Is it possible to create form fields which can forward data inputs?

Yes

Can you add js libs?

Yes

How does fuse compare to framer in general?

Framer is a prototyping tool. Fuse makes real apps.

Framer is a prototyping tool. Fuse makes real apps.

Oh, does that mean I misunderstood the landing’s message?

The example page makes it look like aimed towards prototyping interaction animation designs. Those are all interaction animations and there is no actual logic problem solution, thus I assumed it is made for this regard, i.e. prototyping interaction animations just like what framer does, but instead with js with another language.

I’ve no direct mobile development experience, thus the code looks like an own wordy markup language.

Though, after reading the docs, it clarified the product-fit better. The landing on the other side, including the “whole” examples page makes it looks like a prototyping tool.

Fuse is also listed unter prototyping at http://uxtools.co/

Sure, you can use fuse for prototyping too, as developing prototypes in fuse is just as fast as any prototyping tool.

Fuse just has the added benefit of your “prototype” actually being a real app that you can upload to app store, and the full depth of features to acheive anything you need to build a complete app.

This means that with Fuse, you can do a sliding transitoin from prototyping to actual production, without having to start from scratch in native code for each platform.

Sure, you can use fuse for prototyping too, as developing prototypes in fuse is just as fast as any prototyping tool.

Ah… not really, but might be comparable with code-based tools like framer. Definitely no chance against node-based or layer-based editors like pixate or principal.

At first glance, there seems to be a certain lack of tutorials, but the example code seems even easier and especially more intuitive than the coffee syntax from framer. Looks promising and great so far :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input!

True, but it depends on what you want to prototype. If you’re only doing conceptual animation design, then other tools can be faster.

Fuse however works with real data and real responsive layouts and data, so you can prototype much more realistic scenarios.

Also, visual tools for editing UX markup is under development, which will narrow the gap against node/layer based tools :slight_smile: More examples and tutorials also on the way, so stay tuned :slight_smile:

There’s also the Experimental Sketch Import. I build on windows and don’t own a Sketch Licence, so I haven’t used it but I know you can prototype with sketch and then import that into fuse, and fuse will write the ux code for you. (Correct me if I’m wrong Anders)