Is it possible to do background service with geolocation?

I don’t see background service in documentation. Does anyone know about this?

Currently (as of 0.9.5), there is no official support/documentation for this.

You might be able to hack something together using native bindings in Uno though. I know someone were able to make a background service music player, but I don’t have any example links.

Anders Lassen wrote:

Currently (as of 0.9.5), there is no official support/documentation for this.

You might be able to hack something together using native bindings in Uno though. I know someone were able to make a background service music player, but I don’t have any example links.

Any news on this subject?

Hi Anders, Still no on the official support I’m afraid. The ForeignCode feature does means that it is relatively easy to add this yourself if push comes to shove.

In the ‘near future’ (sorry I havent set a date for this yet) I’m starting on abstractions over the BackgroundServices apis for Android and iOS. With that in place we will provide that functionality to the existing libraries that need it.

So whilst this features hasn’t made it to our beta yet, rest assured that we want too and it is coming.

Hey @chris I hope this becomes like Service Workers on the web where I can have a background file, and register that file through my js code, small example:

var backgroundJS = require('FuseJS/BackgroundJS');
backgroundJS.register('background.js').then(function() {
 // return something useful, not sure what you would return in fuse, on the web its a registration object
});

So in background.js I would be able to keep running code e.g geolocation

Thanks for your input. We will try to make something like this possible. But we need to do a bit more prototyping before we have a better answer for you.

Hi Anders!! any news on this topic?? thanks

We have not done this yet. But we did actually talk about it just a couple of days ago. So I think this will get added priority soon. It would be great to hear what kind of things you want to do in the background.

I´m doing an app that use location and speed tracking.

Any news? I think this functionality is kind of popular feature on many apps, any clue would be great!!

Thanks.

Yes any news ? definetely usefull to have background services

I am in similar situation, and this functionality will be perfect! Even if it is just a bare minimum sample through foreign code.

We have not gotten to this yet. But it’s getting higher up on the list every day :slight_smile:

+1

Any news?

+1

+1 - I’m also looking forward to this feature :slight_smile:

+1

Any movement on this? I don’t want to do the work and be told that it has already been done :slight_smile: thanks

@newtondev: no, there has been no movement on this.