TextView doesn't display the return key etc.

Fuse 0.34 on iOS 10.0.2

There appears to be a bunch of issues with TextView:

• when editing in a TextView, the keyboard doesn’t contain return key
  • when text body is larger than screen, TextView doesn’t scroll to the caret
  • when entering editing by pressing the text, the caret isn’t placed at the position of the touch
  • when text body is larger than screen, you can’t scroll the text
  • when editing and placed in a ScrollView, TextView doesn’t respect z-order, thus displaying text above other content (perhaps this is a feature?)

It would be nice if these limitations could be noted in the docs. Also, some kind of information on what is in the pipe to be fixed. Right now it appears unusable for editing any larger amounts of text, but the docs clearly states that that is the purpose of TextView. I also found a couple of old posts related to this, so I am guessing it has had low priority while the text rendering updates where being worked on.

• when editing in a TextView, the keyboard doesn’t contain return key

That is the default native behavior, its possible to have a return key on a TextView in android, but it is not exposed in fuse since iOS does not support it.

• when text body is larger than screen, TextView doesn’t scroll to the caret

I think we have some issues to solve in this regard. Anyways I would recommend always setting a MaxHeight on a <TextView />. The <TextView /> itself has an internal ScrollView so the text can be scrolled when the text is larger than the bounds of the TextView.

• when entering editing by pressing the text, the caret isn’t placed at the position of the touch

<TextView /> is native UI. This issue is caused by the switching between OpenGL rendering and native rendering when the <TextView /> is focused. This should be easy to fix. So raising an issue for this one

• when text body is larger than screen, you can’t scroll the text

Try using MaxHeight on the <TextView />

• when editing and placed in a ScrollView, TextView doesn’t respect z-order, thus displaying text above other content (perhaps this is a feature?)

Again an issue caused by the <TextView /> being native when focused. So its basically “floated” on top of the rest of the UI. I am investigating some possible paths for fixing this, but not high priority right now.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’ll look into the workarounds. I guessed this “being native when focused. So its basically “floated” on top of the rest of the UI” was the reason, the same behaviour affects WebViews. I will look into hiding the rest of the UX during editing.

Hi guys i have an another bug with textview.
Textview text wrapping on android doesn’t works on writing but works perfectly when you just read. it works perfectly on iOS on both