Mono was not found after Mono was installed

Can’t fix this problem on El Capitan. Saw similar topic here but I don’t think it was resolved in any way.

Could you please open a terminal, do mono --version and paste the output here?

Ok so looks like mono wasn’t installed. Because all I’m getting is ‘command not found’. But I did installed it. Will try to investigate.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can help :slight_smile:

Yep, I am getting the same exact issue trying to run Fuse 0 5 3373 on El Capitan after ‘successfully’ installing Mono 4.2.0.

Keep me in the loop on this since it’s a blocker for me.

Thank you!

Just an update: we’re actively investigating this oddness.

file

Same problem can’t install Mono was not found. What now?

Hey guys, just to be clear on a couple of things to get to the bottom of this :slight_smile:

1. You have downloaded and run the mono installer prior to installing fuse.
  2. When fuse installs, it tells you mono cannot be found
  3. From the terminal, calling mono works and presents you with their help text.

Currently we are looking for mono under /usr/bin/mono, /usr/local/bin/mono and /opt/local/bin/mono. After you’ve installed mono, can you verify that none of these paths exist on your system? And if so, can you check where mono did wind up installed, so we can add those to our list?

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for finding this issue for us :slight_smile:

The output of which mono and mono --version would be helpful, and also information on how you installed mono. Did you download the installer from their site, or install it via a system such as Homebrew or MacPorts?

Responses to the last two questions:

1. Terminal gives a ‘Command Not Found’ when looking for ‘mono’ or ‘mono --version’.
  2. I found Mono installed here in my El Capitan, although Terminal etc don’t seem to see it.

I followed the Fuse instructions. Installed Mono via the installer from their site. It says that it was successful. The Fuse installer fails immediately saying that it cannot find Mono with the only option to close the PKG installer. It never installs Fuse. Terminal can’t find Mono in any way.

Do you still have your best people working on it? :smiley:

file

If even the terminal can’t find mono, it seems there’s something strange with your installation. What is the output of these commands?

$ locate mono | grep '/mono$'

$ echo $PATH

The FIRST command gave me this response:

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist. To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

The SECOND gave me this:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

Brent: that first feedback is OS X telling you that the Locate command doesn’t have its database for file system search set up yet. Can you run the suggested command and re-run the locate command suggested by Anders above when the DB has been created?

It will allow us to see where mono has been placed in your file system, which is crucial to helping us debug this.

Thanks again for your help and patience :slight_smile:

Brent, Ivan:

We have investigated this issue a bit more, and the current version of Fuse will not work on El Capitan, even if you get your Mono version to work.

We are currently focusing on optimising the experience on Yosemite, but will start looking at El Capitan support shortly.

Leùna:

Are you on Yosemite? What does which mono say?

OK cool, I understand. I’ll install on my Yosemite partition and try it there. thx

Thanks for being patient and persisten, Brent! :slight_smile: Let us know if you have any problems on Yosemite.

Hi guys, have the same problem on Capitan. It seems Mono can’t install binaries to /usr/bin because the system denies access (probably El Capitan’s new policies). I think that could be why it doesn’t work.