Fuse License

Hello,

I’d love to give this a go and move my development from Ionic to Fuse. But, I’m a bit concerned with completing a project and then, according to your License Agreement, not being able to continue to use the software after 6 months - of this particular build.

“License: Provided that you otherwise comply with this License Agreement, you are granted a personal, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-transferrable license to install, run and use the Software for any purpose, whether commercial or non-commercial, for a period of 6 months from the release date of this build of the Software.”

Moving to a brand new beta development platform can be costly with training, beta-bugs, and just the blood from an edge product. Without having any idea of how you will be structing the cost of the product it really prohibits a smaller company from commiting to learning and using the product in fear of being trapped.

I’m truly intrigued by the product and would really love to bang out an app or two in it. Do you have a general idea or ballpark numbers for what the cost/price will be - or - when you might have a better idea about that?

Thank you! Mike

Hi Mike! The simple reason for this is that Fuse is still in beta and we’re releasing new builds on a weekly basis, if not even more often. Rather than using old builds of Fuse we want you to be on newer and better ones. :slight_smile:

Once Fuse is out of beta the license will of course also change.

As for your other questions: We’re working hard to minimize the amount of effort needed to forward-port projects for new tool versions. Of course, some changes are bound to happen as this is still beta software but we’re trying to make the experience as easy as possible.

We realize that moving to a new platform can be quite a leap of faith and we’re more than happy to help out when needed. It’d be great if you have the opportunity to try out Fuse for a small project and let us know how we can make it better.

As for pricing we can’t tell you anything quite yet but we intend to maintain a (fully functional, uncrippled) free version also after we launch any commercial products. It’s the only thing that makes sense if we want as many people as possible to use Fuse. :slight_smile:

So does this 6 months include the lifetime of a produced app? or are this 6 month only for the IDE ? I mean, are there any restrictions that the app can only be for a lifetime about this time in the appstore?

The 6 month beta limit is just for the tooling. The apps exported from the tool are all yours to manage as you please. :slight_smile:

But I have also the ability to download and use it again after this term?

The license is tied to the version of Fuse you download at any given time, so yes: when there’s a new version of Fuse available and you accept the license when installing it, you’re granted the time specified in that particular license.

The reason for the 6 months license expiry is simply to insure that people update their installation since Fuse is still in beta. :slight_smile: Once Fuse exits beta, a new license will be in effect.

Hi guys,

Would you be able to elaborate a bit as far as what you think would be contained in the free, uncrippled version of Fuse mentioned by Remi?

I work for a research center and in one of our projects we have a small team developing mobile apps for people with intellectual disabilities. Fuse looks like a great tool because of how relatively easy it is to build engaging UIs with it, especially those with animations that would make it easier for our users to understand what is happening on the screen.

We’re in the procees of researching various frameworks we could potentailly use, and having more information about Fuse would definitely be helpful.

Thanks, Maciej

Hi Maciej,

That sounds like a very cool project!

To keep the answer as short as possible: the free version should contain pretty much the same features and capabilities as what’s in the Beta today. :slight_smile:

In other words: for the use case you describe there shouldn’t be any need for a paid version unless we come up with additional tools / services you really want, on top of what’s already there. (We’ll try to do this, of course, but we won’t force them on you).

Ok, sounds good. Thank you for the clarification, Remi!