Device Compatibility, QR scanner and Commercial Support.

Hi,

This is the most interesting cross platform mobile framework by far (that I know), but seems quite young compared to others. Currently I develop a hybrid apps with cordova/crosswalk and quite satisfied with performance on iOS, but not for the android. And I’m looking for altenernative framework that could compile to native but speaks javascript. The problem (not actual problem) with those alternative framework such as React Native, NativeScript, and TabrisJS is that they render the UI into the specific platform (its native control). And to me fuse tools is exactly what I’m looking for, I can create consistent UI (plus beautiful UX) across platform like mobile web, but with the native performance

However, after digging into documentation and community, I have several question that I couldn’t find in this site.

1. Which version of Android supported? Have you tested it in the low end android (512RAM or below) and how was the performance?

2. Is the javascript engine is compatible with asm.js? Currently I use an encryption library that converted to javascript (asm.js) through emscripten, would it be running properly?

3. I noticed that some people asking about the QR code scanner functionality, but it seems that it hasn’t been supported till now, and I see some suggestion to leverage library such as zxing but I find it too complex. Recently I found that there are a way in iOS and android to do barcode scanning without 3rd party library, avcapturedevice in iOS and google play service API for android, and there are simple example out there on how to use it. I want to use that API (but it seems need some native UI component to preview the result) but I’m new to native development (both iOS and Android) and I couldn’t find usable example, there are CameraStream example but it seems not working with the latest release of fusetools. Do you have any other example that might be suitable for this case?

4. Do you provide commecial support or service? Maybe paid service for creating custom component or plugin (such as barcode), or to prioritize some of feature roadmap based on request?

5. Just some suggestion, it would be nice if you could adopt cordova plugin like tabrisjs, I couldn’t imagine the difficulty, but somehow it should be possible since many cordova plugin is actually a native library wrapped into javascript api, and it would be good to close the gap for the missing feature that not in your roadmap radar.

Hi!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Here are attempted answers to your questions:

Which version of Android supported? Have you tested it in the low end android (512 RAM or below) and how was the performance?

We currently don’t provide a “lowest supported android version guarantee”. Fuse is still in beta and the minimum requirements keep changing. Our goal is to support at least as old as Gingerbread, but no promises at this point.

Update: turns out we actually do provide info on this (Jellybean). That’s the officially supported version, but that said: we know of many projects deployed successfully to Ice Cream Sandwitch, it’s just that we don’t officially support it as of now. It might change in the future though :slight_smile:

The Fuse engine is pure native C++ and should have no problem running on low-end devices. I.e. you will be much better off with Fuse than with a WebView-based solution.

Is the javascript engine is compatible with asm.js? Currently I use an encryption library that converted to javascript (asm.js) through emscripten, would it be running properly?

Currently we use JavaScriptCore on iOS (the one built into the OS, the only one allowed by Apple), and Google V8 on Android. I’m not 100% sure if those are specifically asm.js-enabled, but at least your code will run as fast as is possible on those platforms.

I noticed that some people asking about the QR code scanner functionality […]

Fuse doesn’t come with out of the box QR functionality, but all apis and third party SDKs can be accessed through Fuse’s foreign code feature.

Do you provide commecial support or service? Maybe paid service for creating custom component or plugin (such as barcode), or to prioritize some of feature roadmap based on request?

For enterprise customers, yes. You can contact us directly (contact@fusetools.com) for inquiry.

Just some suggestion, it would be nice if you could adopt cordova plugin like tabrisjs […]

Yes, there are tons of nice things that can be built into or combined with Fuse. We are working on our prioiritized list, and the community is working on other bits and pieces. I’m sure most useful things will eventually be available in the platform. We are working on a package manager system so it is easy to share such components.

Thanks!

Thank you for the quick response :slight_smile:

Anders Lassen wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Here are attempted answers to your questions:

We currently don’t provide a “lowest supported android version guarantee”. Fuse is still in beta and the minimum requirements keep changing. Our goal is to support at least as old as Gingerbread, but no promises at this point.

The Fuse engine is pure native C++ and should have no problem running on low-end devices. I.e. you will be much better off with Fuse than with a WebView-based solution.

For me ICS is more than enough :), what more important is the support for running in a low end hardware. good to know though :slight_smile:

Currently we use JavaScriptCore on iOS (the one built into the OS, the only one allowed by Apple), and Google V8 on Android. I’m not 100% sure if those are specifically asm.js-enabled, but at least your code will run as fast as is possible on those platforms.

If you say so, at least I could expect that javascript code that could run in cordova should work well here (not the one that depend on HTML/Web API)

Fuse doesn’t come with out of the box QR functionality, but all apis and third party SDKs can be accessed through Fuse’s foreign code feature.

Yes, I’ve been reading about this foreign code, but it’s kind a little tough for me, as I’m not coming from native developer, and I haven’t found proper and enough working example there

For enterprise customers, yes. You can contact us directly (contact@fusetools.com) for inquiry.

Good to know having someone to contact if thing getting serious :slight_smile:

Yes, there are tons of nice things that can be built into or combined with Fuse. We are working on our prioiritized list, and the community is working on other bits and pieces. We are working on a package manager system so it is easy to share such components.

Nice to know that you are in that direction, I’ll keep watching

Thanks!