Top and Left Padding on a Text don't push the text

A <Text> with a Padding of 10,20,30,40 (so 20 points of top padding and 10 of Left padding) is aligned left and top, effectively adding padding to the bottom and the right instead:

file

Here is the full code:

<App>
    <Panel Background="Blue">
        <Text Background="Red" Alignment="Center" Padding="10,20,30,40">Lol</Text>
    </Panel>
</App>

I have the same problem with TextInput

This is expected behavior. Padding applies to the children of an element and the text is part of the <Text> element (not a child of it).

that is my case (actuaylly it was not exacty the “text” case):

<TextInput ux:Class="SingleLineTextInput" TextColor="#000" Margin="10,5,10,5" Height="30" TextWrapping="Wrap" Alignment="VerticalCenter" TextAlignment="Left" TextTruncation="Standard" PlaceholderColor="#00f">
<Rectangle CornerRadius="8,8,8,8" Padding="7,0,7,0"> 
    <Stroke Width="1" Brush="#000"/>
</Rectangle>

the padding was working pre-0.20

Yes, this change was reported in the changelog for 0.20

Padding on visuals/primitives is now applied differently to be more useful and consistent. The local visual does not honor the padding anymore, only the children.

<Rectangle Color="#F00" Padding="5">
    <Rectangle Color="#00F"/>
</Rectangle>

Previously, the red rectangle would not be visible, since it was the same size as the child. Now, it will show in the padding area, since it ignores the padding for the local visual.

sorry… i think my post was not complete… my rectangle was INSIDE the TextInput

<TextInput ux:Class="SingleLineTextInput" TextColor="#000" Margin="10,5,10,5" Height="30" TextWrapping="Wrap" Alignment="VerticalCenter" TextAlignment="Left" TextTruncation="Standard" PlaceholderColor="#00f">
<Rectangle CornerRadius="8,8,8,8" Padding="7,0,7,0"> 
</Rectangle>
</TextInput> 

so i already have the padding in the inner rectangle

btw: is it possible to have a multiline textinput ?

Can you explain in a bit more detail what result you’re getting vs. what you are expecting?

In your last example you only have padding on the rectangle, which means that the padding won’t be applied to anything here (because padding applies to the children of the element and the rectangle has no visual children).

i think i get it… as my inner rectangle “contains” the textarea padding it has no sense (the padding would have the same effect as margin i guess).

so… should i create another rectangle inside the one with margin (and apply the padding here)?

“You can now style TextInput by putting elements inside it. It behaves like a DockPanel where remaining space is the actual editor”

i expect to get an inputbox with a rectangle (i guess the “common input box”) and i would like the text area to be smaller than the rectangle

Not exactly, look at the example I posted above. You should not have the padding on the innermost element, but on the parent.

As for multiline text edit this is also mentioned in the 0.20 migration guide

TextInput is now always single line. To get the multiline version of TextInput, use a TextView instead.

this code:

<TextInput ux:Class="SingleLineTextInput" TextColor="#fff" Background="#f0f" TextWrapping="Wrap">
<Rectangle CornerRadius="8,8,8,8" Padding="20,0,20,0" Background="#00f"> 
    <Rectangle Fill="#f00"/>
</Rectangle>
</TextInput> 

i get this result:

file

i would like the text to wrap to the red area

Then just put the blue rectangle outside of the textinput.

E.g.

<Rectangle CornerRadius="8,8,8,8" Padding="20,0,20,0" Background="#00f" Dock="Top"> 
    <TextInput TextColor="#fff" Background="#f0f" TextWrapping="Wrap" Value="asdasd">
        <Rectangle Fill="#f00"/>
    </TextInput> 
</Rectangle>

Thnx… i was in tunnel vision mode :slight_smile:

but now i have a doubt:

I want to have a class (so all my input boxes look the same)

if i do what u suggested:

<Rectangle ux:Class="MyInput">
    <TextInput ...>

it would work unless i want to do something like:

<MyInput ValueChanged="{myFunction}"/>

as now the class is a rectangle (and rectangle does not have a property “ValueChanged”

Why would you want to expose a function like that? It might be a better way if you just explain what you want to achieve.

I would like to have all my input boxes look the same… so i want to create a class for it.

How do i want those input boxes to look like?

file

i want to have a rectangle with the text inside.

The problem i’m facing is that when doing so there is no padding on the input text:

file

before 0.20 i had a padding in the TextEdit and it worked fine:

PRE 0.20 code:

<TextEdit ux:Class="MyInputText" ClipToBounds="false" Padding="20,7,20,7" Alignment="VerticalCenter" TextAlignment="Left" FontSize="14" > 
    <Rectangle Layer="Background" CornerRadius="10">
        <Stroke Width="1" Brush="#7d7d7d"/>
    </Rectangle>
</TextEdit>

Remi solution would work unless i want to create a class and i would do something like:

<MyInputText ValueChanged="{doSomething}/>

so the questions is: how do i do that POST 0.20 ?

Hi!

Please have a look at the Changes to TextInput and TextEdit APIs section in the changelog for 0.20 (https://www.fusetools.com/downloads).

Basically TextEdit is gone and replaced by TextInput which acts as a DockPanel where the text is Dock="Fill". This makes it nice to make stuff like this:

<TextInput ux:Class="SearchField" PlaceholderText="Search..." Padding="8" Margin="8">
    <Button Text="GO!" Dock="Right" Margin="4,0,4,0" />
    <Rectangle Layer="Background" CornerRadius="8">
        <Stroke Color="#000" />
    </Rectangle>
</TextInput>

the problem was that i was missing the Layer=“Background” in the project (i guess i removed it in one of the copy+pastes)

thnx!

what i haven’t found is the multiline TextInput (the TextBox)

Yes, this is a change in 0.20. A multiline textinput is very different than a singleline one, so they are now split up into <TextInput /> and <TextView />