Best Way to Reload a ScrollView with New Information

Following the train of thought of this previous thread, I have two screens in my App: Index.ux and Search.ux. Index.ux provides the parameters I’ll use to perform my search, and Search.ux will display the result in a ScrollView.

Everything is working. The problem starts when I go back to the Index.ux screen and change the parameters. The Search.ux screen still shows the values from the previous search, so I need to “clear” this ScrollView when I go back to Index.ux screen and reload the results (that are provided by a REST API Service).

How is the best way to do this?

Updating your Observables will automatically update the UI. For example, if you are displaying each search result in a <Each Items="{mySearchResultsArray"> block, and mySearchResultsArray is an Observable, the block will update automatically as soon as the array changes by adding, removing, sorting items, etc.

Alternatively, you could use clear() or replaceAll() in your JS to force updating and bind that as a function in your Page’s <ActivatingAnimation> or <EnteringAnimation>, I think. But it shouldn’t be necessary.

Fernando Lins wrote:

Updating your Observables will automatically update the UI. For example, if you are displaying each search result in a <Each Items="{mySearchResultsArray"> block, and mySearchResultsArray is an Observable, the block will update automatically as soon as the array changes by adding, removing, sorting items, etc.

This makes sense, but when I enter the screen the second time, the second fetch doesn’t happen.

A sample of the code:

<JavaScript>
     var Observable = require("FuseJS/Observable");
     var IndexJs = require('IndexJs');
     var data = Observable();

console.log(IndexJs.selectedFrom.value.option); // option is a text, like 'Basel'.

/ var data = Observable(
         {name: "Translations", description: "German and Italian"},
         {name: "Manicure", description: "Foot and Hand"},
         {name: "Professional Advise", description: "Some advice"}
     ); /

console.log("Working on it...")

fetch('http://www.mysite.com/json_app/train_line_to/&#39; + IndexJs.selectedFrom.value.option)
             .then(function(response) { return response.json(); })
             .then(function(responseObject) { data.value = responseObject; });

module.exports = {
         data: data
     };
 </JavaScript>

I believe that’s because that code is ran only once when Search.ux is loaded. You have to make it into a function that you can call when you load the Search page.

Then you can do

<Page ux:Name="Search">
    <ActivatingAnimation>
        <Callback Handler="{performMySearch}" />
    </ActivatingAnimation>
</Page>

Or, preferably, if you have a proper “Search” button on the Index.ux page you should call the function from there and then move to the Search screen.

Fernando Lins wrote:

I believe that’s because that code is ran only once when Search.ux is loaded. You have to make it into a function that you can call when you load the Search page.

Then you can do

<Page ux:Name="Search">
    <ActivatingAnimation>
        <Callback Handler="{performMySearch}" />
    </ActivatingAnimation>
</Page>

Or, preferably, if you have a proper “Search” button on the Index.ux page you should call the function from there and then move to the Search screen.

<ActivatingAnimation> didn’t work. I used the button instead.

First Step: The callback function

<JavaScript>
    var performSearch = function (args) {
        console.log("Working on it...")

fetch('http://www.mysite.com/json_app/train_line_to/&#39; + selectedFrom.value.option)
                .then(function(response) { return response.json(); })
                .then(function(responseObject) { data.value = responseObject; });
    }

module.exports = {
        data: data,
        selectedFrom: selectedFrom, // Parameter
        selectedTo: selectedTo, // Parameter
        selectMeFrom: selectMeFrom, // callback function from DropDown
        selectMeTo: selectMeTo, // callback function from DropDown
        performSearch: performSearch
    };
</JavaScript>

Second Step: Button at Index.ux

<Button Text="Search">